Picturesque Giethoorn is the only village left of the time when sailing ships and horse drawn barges formed the main form of transportation in The Netherlands. Therefore the unique town still has no streets, but only canals and footpaths.
During our one hour walking tour of this lovely village we will tell you all about its culture, customs and history, and the peoples that took refuge here, from Italian Flagelants to Dutch Menonites.
To complete your visit, you can choose to take a boat tour, or navigate the canals yourself with an electric sloop.
ITINERARY Private day tour to Giethoorn
- pick-up anywhere in the greater Amsterdam area
- 1 1/2 Hour drive to Giethoorn
- 1 hour walking tour of Giethoorn
- free time for lunch in Giethoorn
- optional visit on the way back to Amsterdam
- drop-off anywhere in greater Amsterdam area
If we have time left, you can choose from these optional visits on the way back to Amsterdam:
- navigate the Weerribben National Park unique swampland
- (spring only) photo stops in the Tulip fields on the way
- large greenhouse with orchids and butterflies
- the lovely village of Muiden with its 13th century Castle
- a copy of a 17th century Dutch East Indias Company merchant ship, the Batavia
- Stricltly Dutch Reformed Staphorst
- medieval town of Elburg